The Buzz

Should I send in supporting evidence?

It’s a good idea to send in supporting evidence with the form but if possible, contact our Freephone Helpline by emailing  or chatting online at livechat before sending it.
Sometimes, evidence that looks helpful might not be useful for benefit claims.

Due to Coronavirus, you can still apply for PIP but some processes  have changed. You can receive and return the PIP2 form along with supporting evidence electronically. 

You can check out the latest PIP updates here!

Extra evidence could include:

  • reports or letters from your Teacher of the Deaf, audiologist, or other professional who helps you.
  • reports on any extra help you get at school, college, university or work place
  • your Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan (England), statement of special educational needs (Wales and Northern Ireland) or coordinated support plan (Scotland)
  • letters or statements from people who know you well.

Make sure that you agree with the evidence, and that it’s related to any problems you have with the PIP activities.

If someone is writing a letter or statement to support you, you can ask them to comment on the tasks you need help with because of your condition and that you think are more important to your claim.

We have a factsheet for audiologists called Writing Reports for Non-Specialist Audiences

It has lots of useful information to help them write a letter that gives other agencies, like the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), a full understanding of your needs.

We also have a factsheet for teachers called Guidance for teachers writing a letter in support of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim for a deaf young person 

You may want to keep a diary, this can be particularly helpful if your needs vary and can be a helpful way to use your own words to describe the type of help you need.


  • Remember to keep a copy of everything you send to the DWP and write a list in the extra information page.
  • Label all supporting evidence with your name and national insurance number.

Find out more

Check out this DWP video in BSL

Related Articles

National Deaf Children's Society

Registered Charity: England and Wales (1016532) and Scotland (SC040779)

Helpline: 0808 800 8880

Please follow & like us :)

Visit Us
Follow Me