The Buzz

How do I fill in the How your disability affects you (PIP2) form?

Filling in the How your disability affects you (PIP2) form can be complicated so you might want to ask your parents, or someone else who knows you well, to help.
It’s also a good idea to get advice from these places before your fill in the form or go to an assessment:

Due to Coronavirus, you can still apply for PIP but some processes  have changed. You can receive and return the PIP2 form along with supporting evidence electronically. 

You can check out the latest PIP updates here!


  • The form has a unique claim code so no one else can use it. This means you can only claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) using this form, not one you downloaded or got from someone else.
  • The form comes with an information booklet explaining more about how to fill it in
  • Make sure you read the booklet carefully but remember you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or our Freephone Helpline by emailing chatting online at livechat if there’s something you don’t understand.

How long do I have to fill in the form?

The form, or the letter that comes with it, has a date on it telling you when you need to get the form back to the DWP. You usually get a month from the date that they sent it to you.

Due to lockdown, the government has extended the deadline for returning the completed PIP2 form by 3 months.

If you need more time you can ask the DWP for extra time, but make sure you do this before the date on the form.

If you don’t ask for extra time before the deadline your PIP claim may be closed. This means you won’t get any PIP and you might have to start the claim again.

It also means any Disability Living Allowance (DLA) payments your parents were getting for you will stop.

Answering the questions

Important: the form is asking you about the help you need, not the help you actually get.

This means that when the form asks if you need someone else to help you with an activity, you can tick yes, even if you don’t actually get that help.

You should only say you can do an activity without help or difficulty if:

  • you can do it safely
  • you can do it as often as you need to
  • it doesn’t take you longer than someone without a disability
  • you can do it well enough.

You need to answer each question in as much detail as you can. It’s better to repeat information on the form, than leave it out because you mentioned it in another answer.

What if I don’t need help all the time?

If your needs change from day to day, or during the course of a day, that’s OK. You can tick yes or sometimes and explain more in the ‘Extra information’ box.

You might find it helpful to keep a diary to help you understand what sort of things you find difficult/need help with and how often.

What should I put in the Extra information boxes?

Each question has tick boxes for your answers, then an extra information box for you to explain your answer in more detail.

Citizen’s Advice has advice on filling in the PIP form

PIP activities and descriptors

Each PIP activity has a list of descriptors 

A descriptor is the term the DWP uses for a short sentence explaining the difficulties you have, or the help you need from another person, to complete the activity.

The assessor will use your form and what you say during the assessment (if you have one) to decide which descriptor suits you best.

Each descriptor scores you points. If you score enough points you’ll get PIP.

For example, these are the descriptors and points for activity 7 (Communicating)



a. Can express and understand verbal information unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear. 2
c. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand complex verbal information. 4
d. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand basic verbal information. 8
e. Cannot express or understand verbal information at all even with communication support. 12

Knowing what the descriptors are, and which one best describes you, can help you be clear about the difficulties you have and the help you need for each activity when you fill in the form.

Do I need to send in evidence with my form?

It’s a good idea to send in supporting evidence supporting evidence

but if you don’t have the evidence already, don’t delay sending in the form. Put a note on the form saying you’ll send in supporting evidence later.


  • Keep a copy of the form and any extra pages.
  • Don’t just put the form in a post box, go to the post office and ask for a certificate of posting.
  • The DWP should let you know when they get your form. If it’s more than two weeks since you sent your form in and the DWP haven’t told you they have it, it’s a good idea to contact them to make sure they got it.

Related Articles

National Deaf Children's Society

Registered Charity: England and Wales (1016532) and Scotland (SC040779)

Helpline: 0808 800 8880

Please follow & like us :)

Visit Us
Follow Me