What’s the competition?
Do you feel frustrated by the technology you use and wish you could make it better? Or maybe you have an idea that would make a perfect new invention? Then we have the competition for you!
For the Design Your Own Tech competition, we’re looking for creative, techy and original design ideas on how you think technology can be improved! Your design could be a solution designed specifically for deaf young people or mainstream tech that could also benefit deaf people.
You can draw, paint, film, video or demonstrate your idea in other creative ways. But if you choose to create a video, please make sure your video has subtitles (attachments size no larger than 6Mb).
Who can enter?
To enter the competition you must be a deaf young person aged 12-18 and live in the UK. Or, you can enter with hearing friends from your school but one of the group members must be deaf. You’ll also have to enter the competition through your school.
Want to enter the competition?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Describe what challenges you face in your life as a deaf young person
- Describe how your piece of technology will help to overcome these challenges. This could be tech designed especially for deaf young people or mainstream tech that could also benefit deaf people
- Explain what your technology would look like. You can draw, paint, write or film or demonstrate your idea in another way. If you choose to explain your idea in a video, please make sure the video has subtitles
- Send your entry to the CYP, National Deaf Children’s Society, 37-45 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4LS. Or scan and email your entry to CYP@ndcs.org.uk (attachments size no larger than 6Mb) no later than Friday 13 October 2017
What can you win?
If you’re a competition winner, you will present your tech idea in London on 22 November 2017 to those with the power to make your design a REALITY! You will also get the chance to choose either £300 worth of Amazon vouchers or a VR headset for your school.
Have a question?
If you have a question or just want more information you can email us (CYP@ndcs.org.uk).
We can’t wait to see your exciting designs, and we’d love to see a sneak peek of your ideas. Use #NDCStech on social media to share your entries with us!
Remember you have until Friday 13 October to submit your entry.
GOOD LUCK 🙂
- Design Your Own Tech – Design sheet
- Design Your Own Tech – Poster
- Want to share it with your school? Here is a letter to tell them all about it
- Design Your Own Tech – Design sheet (Welsh)
- Design Your Own Tech – Poster (Welsh)
- Want to share it with your school? Here is a letter to tell them about it (Welsh)